Yukon Register of Historic PlacesYRHP

Captain Martin House

Captain Martin House

Captain Martin House

Captain Martin House

Captain Martin House

Cultural History

Captain Martin House

Cultural History

This house was originally located at 208 Wood Street. Construction date is estimated circa 1915, although it may date from as early as 1900. Newspapers and early photographs suggest that it was originally a one-storey house, to which a second floor was added in 1917. It was the home of Captain Patrick "Paddy" Martin and his family. Originally, from Newfoundland, Captain Martin had been a sea captain on sailing ships prior to his arrival in Yukon. After leaving the steamboat business, he opened a general merchandise and grocery store on First Avenue called the Arctic Trading Company. The Martin family occupied the house until the mid-1930s when they moved to the Chantler House on Hawkins Street.

Relocated to its current location and rehabilitated in 1987, the Captain Martin House now houses the Lions Club office upstairs and a tenant on the main floor.