Mayo Legion Hall
The heritage values of the Mayo Legion Hall lie in its architecture and social history. The structure demonstrates strong craftsmanship and provides a good example of the Red River Frame type of log construction. The gable roof, log walls and plain trimmed window and door openings are typical of commercial buildings built in the Yukon within the first half of the twentieth century. The Legion Hall is the only Red River Frame style building remaining in the Mayo area and is a prominent landmark on the waterfront.
This one and a half story log structure was built by Alex Nicol in 1936. It is the oldest standing building on First Avenue, facing the Stewart River. Mr. Nicol, known as one of the founding fathers of the community, was the first to build a cabin when the community was established in 1903 and continued to live in the region until his death 62 years later. He constructed this building as a speculative venture during a mining boom. It is in its original location and is a well-known feature of the waterfront, dating from the time when the Mayo Mining District was the economic engine of the Yukon.
The building has been an important part of the social fabric of Mayo, built and used at various times for commercial purposes but most remembered for serving as a learning centre and meeting place. There is a strong connection with the First Nation of Na-Cho Nyak Dun. Early land claims meetings were held here. The process for settlement of Yukon First Nation land claims strongly affected every Yukon community and shaped one of the most significant eras of Yukon history. The Mayo Legion Hall also has a strong social connection with many Mayo residents that cuts across cultural and economic boundaries through its use as a kindergarten classroom, library, BLADE (Basic Learning Adult Development and Education) school and branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. BLADE is remembered for allowing residents to upgrade their education while remaining in the community.
The building name and strongest social association relates to its ownership and use from 1972 until 2003. This is the only historic structure remaining in the Yukon that served as a Royal Canadian Legion Branch.
There have been a number of alterations to the building over its history due to changes in use such as the openings on the north wall and the installation of the large, commercial windows facing First Avenue.
Source: Historic Sites Unit file #3630 32 08, Cultural Services Branch, Yukon Government