Yukon Register of Historic PlacesYRHP

Donnenworth House

Donnenworth House

Donnenworth House

Donnenworth House

Donnenworth House

Donnenworth House

Donnenworth House

Cultural History

Donnenworth House

Cultural History

Built between 1900 and 1904, this house was originally a small frame building with a tent attached to the rear. The land was owned by William "Hobo Bill" Donnenworth who in 1911-12 drove horses for the Royal Mail Service stage between Whitehorse and Dawson City. He was a purser on the steamboats 'Canadian' and 'Nisutlin' from 1913-15. Mrs. Donnenworth operated a small millinery shop on Main Street and later ran her business from this building. In 1963 the house became the residence of A.R. "Happy" Lepage and family. The Lepage family operated wood camps on the Yukon River for the B.Y.N. Co. from 1928-49 and remained in the house until 1978.

In 1983, the YHMA secured permission from Finning Tractor to operate their walking tours from the building. In 1984, it was purchased by the City of Whitehorse, renovated extensively, and converted into the YHMA office.