Yukon Register of Historic PlacesYRHP

Yukon Sawmill Company Office

Yukon Sawmill Company Office

Yukon Sawmill Company Office

Yukon Sawmill Company Office

Yukon Sawmill Company Office

Yukon Sawmill Company Office

Yukon Sawmill Company Office

Yukon Sawmill Company Office

Yukon Sawmill Company Office

Cultural History

Yukon Sawmill Company Office

Cultural History

The Yukon Sawmill, established by 1898 by JF Burke in association with the Alaska Commercial Company, was one of the earliest sawmills to operate in the Dawson area. By 1901 a new two-story building, the Yukon Sawmill Company Office, was constructed at the corner of Duke and Front streets. Ownership changed in 1904 but the company continued to carry on its business on a large scale after its sale to Louis Sloss. In 1910 Benjamin Volkman became the Yukon Sawmill Company's manager, however, by 1912 both Joseph Burke and Frank Johnston are listed as managers for the company. By 1912 the business owned Lots 1,2,6 and 7 on Block E of the Ladue Estate where the milling operations, a warehouse on the river front, a machine shop foundry and offices were situated. The company suspended its operations in this building some time between 1919 and 1923. In 1926, Charles Redmond bought the building for an unknown use and sold it in 1931 to John Spence, a grocer, who used it as a cold storage warehouse. In 1938, Spence sold it to the Northern Commercial Company, who owned it until 1963 when the Cassiar Asbestos Company purchased the property. By 1967 the property was owned by the Government of Yukon. Currently (2006) Cultural Services Branch, Yukon Government has restored the exterior and plans to rehabilitate the interior are underway.