Yukon Register of Historic PlacesYRHP

Arctic Brotherhood Hall

Arctic Brotherhood Hall

Arctic Brotherhood Hall

Arctic Brotherhood Hall

Arctic Brotherhood Hall

Additional Information

Arctic Brotherhood Hall

Additional Information

The building is referred to in 1901 Dawson newspapers as in operation that year. If it was constructed as the "Fraternity Temple" it was completed as early as 1898. This building was used as the Arctic Brotherhood Hall until sometime between 1925 and 1929 when it was taken over by the Fraternal Order of Eagles. Substantial additions were made to the building in 1910 when the building was expanded onto the newly required Lot 1.

Personal Recollection - John Gould - The Arctic Brotherhood who built this building never changed the requirement to become a member - as a result the organization died with the members. The Firth boys in Whitehorse, their grandfather, Tom A Firth were members. The Fraternal Order of Eagles moved into this building circa 1929. Once the Eagles closed down the building, it became the community hall. Charles Burkhard was responsible for saving it. The man who owned it in the 1930's was going to move it to Mayo. Burkhard took up a collection to save the building. In 1967 Canada's centennial money was acquired from the Federal Government and it was upgraded. The wood heaters were removed, a good sewer and water hook up was put in and a kitchen was added, it then became the Centennial Hall. About 1973 it became Diamond Tooth Gertie's Gambling Hall, Canada's first legal gambling hall.