Hulland House is important as an integral part of the Whitehorse Old Town district and for its association with school superintendent Ronald (Jack) Hulland. This dwelling is the first private home in Whitehorse to be designated as a municipal historic site.
This house was built about 1947 in one of the oldest residential areas during the post-war expansion of Whitehorse. Wood Street has a high percentage of homes of similar scale and vintage. The historic Pioneer Cemetery is directly across the street from the Hulland House.
The Hulland House is an excellent example of a modest residential property dating from post World War II. The single-storey building is of frame construction, with low gable roof and regular fenestration of original multi-pane windows on the primary facade with newer windows in the rear. It has clapboard siding with corner trims. There is a gable roofed frame addition on the east side which is compatible in form, scale and materials with the main block. The house underwent renovations in 2003 repairing the roof and foundation and bringing plumbing, electrical and heating up to building code. The yard is surrounded with a low picket fence, is well treed and in a natural state, notable for its mature Alaskan birches.
Jack Hulland lived in this house from 1952 to the mid-1960s. In 1930, Mr. Hulland moved from Alberta to teach in Whitehorse. In 1938, he transferred to Dawson City, working a dual position as principal of the Dawson Public School and as the Yukon Superintendent of Schools. Hulland moved back to Whitehorse when the capital city was transferred from Dawson to Whitehorse in 1953. In 1955, Hulland resigned as Superintendent to serve a three year term as a territorial councilor representing Whitehorse West. In 1958, Mr. Hulland returned to teaching at Whitehorse High School (later renamed F.H. Collins Secondary School). He retired in 1965. In recognition of his dedication and positive influence on the Yukon's education system, a new school in Porter Creek was christened Jack Hulland Elementary School in 1968.
Almstrom, Marjorie E. "A Century of Schooling: Education in the Yukon, 1861 to 1961". Whitehorse, 1991.
Historic Sites Unit, Cultural Services Branch, Yukon Government file 3630 40 02.
Character Defining Elements
The Character Defining Elements include:
- Architectural elements such as the low pitched gable roof, clapboard siding and corner boards
- Original window and door openings with exterior trims, multi-pane windows and stained glass door
- simple plan shape and low profile
- location and siting on the lot
Description of Boundaries
Lot 2, Block 68, Plan 17459 Whitehorse YT
Historical Sources Location
--Gov. #1012, crg I, City of Whitehorse: Land Tax & Assessments, 1929-1950 .
--Interview with C.Williams, L.Cyr: 1995
Sources: Almstrom, Marjorie E. A Century of Schooling: Education in the Yukon, 1861 ? 1961. Whitehorse, 1991.
Whitehorse Heritage Building Registry Review, October 2000. City of Whitehorse.
Yukon Historic Sites Inventory, 105D/11/111.
Yukon Archives. Biographical Search Files; Government Records: GOV 2398, f.1.
Gable roof frame addition to east section of house.
One-storey frame residence with gable roof; exterior wood siding; asphalt roof shingles;
Built in 1947, the house is a well-maintained example of a post WWII residence in Whitehorse. The home is named after the individual who owned it the longest, Ronald Hulland, former Yukon school superintendant.
Historic Sites Unit, Cultural Services Branch, Yukon Government file 3630 50 18