HARRINGTON'S STORE

National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec

Construction Period: From 1896 to 1905        Designation Level: Municipal

Harrington’s Store is recognized as a municipal historic site because of its historic, landscape, architectural and social values.

Its historic value stems from the development of Dawson into a mature settlement as the frenzy of the Klondike Gold Rush subsided. Many historic values of Harrington’s are representative of Dawson at the time. It was built, as a multi-storey combination commercial/residential building, these were common as hastily erected single storey buildings from 1898 and1899 were replaced with larger more prominent structures. William Harrington operated a grocery store on the ground floor and this is indicative of Dawson becoming a supply and distribution centre. Living space was provided on the second floor. The food service history of the building was reinforced through its later use as a bakery by Andrew Rystogi.

Harrington’s Store’s massing and relationship to its surroundings is representative of Dawson’s commercial buildings. These include its original relationship to Princess St. and Third Ave. characterized by no street set back and large display windows, thereby integrating the building with the street. The corner entrance is strategically located to allow the business to benefit from traffic on both streets. Harrington’s Store’s presence reinforces the historic nature of this commercial street scape, which contains numerous other historic buildings of a similar scale.

The architectural values of Harrington’s Store are a mix of representative and unique values. It follows many common architectural features of similar buildings including: symmetry from the salient axis—accented by the rectangular oriel window and double doors—rectangular, massing, and decorative entablature. These elements combine to give the building an aesthetically pleasing and balanced appearance. However, the building distinguishes itself through good craftsmanship and interesting design—especially its Italianate features. These architectural features combine to create a building that is both prominent in in the street and yet sympathetic to its surroundings.

The building is a landmark in Dawson due to its architectural sophistication, visibility and long history in the community through its long commercial associations and its use by Parks Canada as an exhibit space.

Character Defining Elements

Harrington’s landscape values are seen in:

-Its two-story rectangular facade.

-Its proximity to lot lines and boardwalk on both streets.

-Its relationship to nearby historic buildings.

-The connection to the street provided by large display windows.

-The orientation of the main entrance to the street corner.

Harrington’s architectural values are visible in both what makes the building representative and fit in with streetscape, as well as those elements which set it apart. These include but are not limited to:

-Light wooden frame,

-Boomtown front,

-Ornamental double door, and oriel window at the salient angle with supporting column,

-Symmetry of neighbouring fenestration with the main entrance,

-Change in fenestration size and style by storey,

-The 4 and 8 light theme in the fenestration,

-Exterior entrance to the second storey,

-Painted cove siding,

-Unmoulded window and door trim, as well as corner boards,

-Thin belt course between storeys,

-Paneled frieze,

-Boxed cornice.

Social values are seen in the building’s presence as a Dawson landmark stemming from its history of commercial and public use in a prominent intersection in the Downtown Heritage Character Area.

Historical Sources Location

Klondike National Historic Sites research paper on KNHS sites, unpublished paper.

City of Dawson Municipal Records. Assessment and Tax Rolls. 1998

#16/117, Parks Canada, Klondike National Historic Sites

Konkle, Scott, et. al. "Design Guidelines for Historic Dawson". Parks Canada

Documentation Location

National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec