Yukon Register of Historic PlacesYRHP

Pioneer Hotel Two

Pioneer Hotel Two

Pioneer Hotel Two

Pioneer Hotel Two

Pioneer Hotel Two

Pioneer Hotel Two

Pioneer Hotel Two

Pioneer Hotel Two

Pioneer Hotel Two

Cultural History

Pioneer Hotel Two

Cultural History

The Pioneer Hotel was originally located on the east bank of the Yukon River under the name of the Savoy Hotel. It was built and run by Edward Algernon Dixon, an ex-NWMP officer who had piloted boats through the Whitehorse Rapids in 1898 and 1899. In 1900, the building was moved to Front Street and renamed the Pioneer Hotel. It was possibly the first building in the new townsite of Whitehorse. Dixon sold the hotel to ex-NWMP Sergeant Pringle. He ran it for six months before selling it to James Smart, who had assisted Dixon in its construction. Pringle went on to open Pringle's Stables on Main Street. The hotel had various subsequent owners under the name The Pioneer Rooms.

By the 1950's the hotel was purchased by Max Kushner, dismantled, moved to Moccasin Flats, and divided into three pieces. One of the cabins was destroyed by fire. This portion of the original hotel building was occupied by John Hatch.