Yukon Register of Historic PlacesYRHP

Telegraph Office

Telegraph Office

Telegraph Office

Telegraph Office

Telegraph Office

Telegraph Office

Telegraph Office

Cultural History

Telegraph Office

Cultural History

This building, constructed on its present site in 1900, was the second telegraph office in Whitehorse. The first telegraph office was built in 1899. It was located on the east bank of the Yukon River, where the original townsite of Whitehorse, then called Closeleigh, was situated. When the White Pass and Yukon Route Railroad was completed on the West bank of the river, the telegraph office was stripped of doors, windows, and anything removable for use in the new office.The Whitehorse telegraph office served both as the office and as the residence for its operators. The head operator, George Fleming, lived there until his retirement in 1923, and was succeeded by Bruce Watson until 1927. After that, use of the station ceased and two houses next door were used as the telegraph office instead.